Friday 22 January 2016

Poker and other vices

I do not really have any vices. I have never been an addictive type where I get hooked on something. I am not overly attached to anything and there is nothing I own that I would get upset over the long term if it disappeared tomorrow. I would be miffed if someone stole my motorcycle but I can buy another one. Just about everything can be replaced.

I have never smoked a day in my life. I do not care if others do. I rarely drink. When I drink I drink for taste. That being said, there are a few things I like to do. I did play poker at times in my life on a regular basis then I would go for years without playing then pick it up again. I do not believe it is much of a skill game. To me it is a game of luck. As with anything, if you do it long enough you should get better and read the odds and situations better. If you get lousy hands all night long you are not going to win no matter how skilled you think you are.

I played only for fun and low stakes to keep the game on a friendly level. To me it is a social thing. If someone loses a bit too much you find friendships can quickly be destroyed. Be mindful of who you play with and with small amounts with the understanding that it is just entertainment. I like it to be more about an evening having fun more than the cards themselves. As for gambling I have no desire to go to Las Vegas and gamble, I would like to go just because I have never been there. Some get a rush from gambling, I do not. I have no issue losing small amounts of money. I am too frugal to gamble large amounts. Know when to walk away.


No comments:

Post a Comment