Monday 25 January 2016

Near Usona, Alberta January 17, 2016

This barely north of Highway 611 on Highway 795. I have driven this road a few times. Highway 795 is a gravel highway on this section. There is an old church on this property and every time I see it I get a bit more curious. When I got home yesterday I tried to find some information online. You can see it clearly on Google Maps, the church shaped shadow gives it away.


The church is on someone's land and it is clearly abandoned. There is an occupied house on this land. I am contemplating knocking on their door sometime to ask them about it. From what I found out it is Immanuel Lutheran Church. An online search for "Immanuel Lutheran Church Usona" brings up some history on it. I dislike seeing old churches fade away. 

I took this photo from the road. One of those things I will have to follow up on.




8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I never thought of that. It is on their property and I guess they can use it for whatever they want.

      Delete
  2. I watch videos of abandoned homes and other buildings on Youtube, I like to see the different architecture, moldings, woods, interiors, what people just up and leave behind, I also like to find the reason why someone would leave everything like that..the story behind...I would like to hear the story about the church. Let us know what you find out please. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch videos of abandoned homes and other buildings on Youtube, I like to see the different architecture, moldings, woods, interiors, what people just up and leave behind, I also like to find the reason why someone would leave everything like that..the story behind...I would like to hear the story about the church. Let us know what you find out please. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been trying to find out more. It is a work in progress.

      Delete
  4. Wow that's very nice to see you caring for history. To add some more curiosity, I've been working on my family history and it seems there must be a small cemetery of about 31 plots near the church. Of those 7 seem to be my kin. I would love to know more about this church and the people that called it home. - Jason Yetz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently found out where the cemetery is, just go one range road east. I have not been there but it should be an easy find. I have been trying to find out more about the church with no success so far.

      Delete
  5. I always wondered if Usono Alberta had anything historical roots with the internationals language Esperanto. The word for the United States in Esperanto is Usona from United States Of North America.

    ReplyDelete