I spent last Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday taking a trip from Edmonton to Waterton National Park with a friend.
I met my friend Dave in 2024 when we were both on the same ward in the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital. I was recovering from numerous horrible injuries and Dave lost a leg due to complications from diabetes. During one of our many conversations Dave mentioned that he was getting close to retirement age and had no idea what he was going to do as he had no hobbies. Well, he kind of had an activity or two that he could no longer pursue with a prosthetic leg. I kind of off handedly told him to get a motorcycle. He said he could not ride one. I countered that he could ride one if he bought one with three wheels, like a Can Am Spyder. Dave got intrigued by the idea and bought one last year and quickly got his motorcycle license.
Last year and this year we went out for a few day rides. This last weekend was the first multi-day trip. I learned a few things. There is no way I should have attempted anything like this last year. I wanted to last year but I did not. I was not good enough physically. I managed okay this year. I had some minor help here and there from Dave. There is a big difference in my physical condition this year and next summer I believe I will much better.
The trip was a success. There was about 1,400km in four days with lots of breaks, which we both needed. There was good food and good beer. Weather was fine, except for running into some rain on Sunday. There were plans to do the Highwood west of Longview, except we found out it was snowing at the summit. If you have plans be flexible, lots can happen. Stayed in Blairmore and fit in Waterton Park and around Cardston area
I am a little stiff and sore in a few places and not hurting as much as I thought I would. Dave has not retired yet but he is planning on not working next summer. He thoroughly enjoyed the trip and is looking to do a lot more of this next summer. I will have the winter months to get even better so I can attack next riding season. I will close out this fall with some riding for a few hours around my home area.

No comments:
Post a Comment