Friday 5 March 2021

St. Helen's Anglican Church 1912

In a very rural area about 16km south of Mannville, Alberta. Used until the 1970's and still maintained. Also known as the Stellaville Angilican Church. If there was an actual Stellaville it probably consisted of this church and a one room school named Stellaville School that was once in the area and not much else.

I would have got more photos however it turned out being colder that I anticipated. There will be a return summer visit.


This is the church window that was in the February 28, 2021 post.


7 comments:

  1. Does it still serve a congregation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can anybody tell me why so many of these old churches not only have the bell removed but also have the bell tower cut off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This type of church is purposely built this way. If there is a bell it would be inside the tower. Lots of Anglican and United Churches here have that style.

      Delete
    2. I just see a lot of these on websites like "ghosts of north dakota" (not affiliated) and the guys who photograph the churches frequently come across the severed belltowers in a different location than the church they were removed from is why I asked.

      Delete
    3. On closer inspection, I can actually see the blue/green trim atop the parapets in that first photo. Funny, I guess I just assumed that all the ones I've seen in that style had been decapitated.

      Delete
    4. I did recently run across a church that had its tower ripped off in a storm. I will be posting in later on.

      Delete