Wednesday 20 March 2019

The White Kitty...


I had stopped in Carmangay, Alberta to get a few shots of the Carmangay School sign.  Behind the sign and white picket fence was a white kitty taking in the shade on what was becoming a very hot summer day.



The kitty was a little shy . . . if you look close, you'll see he/she has one green eye and one blue eye.  I'm sure that's a sign of good luck!


A few minutes later I was driving through town when I noticed an "open" sign in the window of the old hotel restaurant so I decided to stop in for a bite.  I was greeted in perfect English by a ten year old Asian boy who, as it turned out, had just moved here from Singapore a few years before with his mom, older sister and grandpa. From Singapore to Carmangay . . . "culture shock" is an understatement at best.  That said, I think kids handle this sort of thing far better than adults.

As the meal was prepared I talked to the young boy a little. He told me he wanted to become a doctor so he could help people. Kids are so sincere. And I sincerely do hope his dream comes true.     

While we were chatting I couldn't help thinking, "How did he learn to speak English so well and so quickly?" Neither his mom nor grandpa could speak the language and his sister struggled with it so I had to ask.  With obvious confidence he replied, "From an app."

- Michael Truman

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting tale, and yes kids are often better adapting. Could it be no preconceived bias...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids always pick up languages so much faster and easier than adults. They are like little absorbent sponges for new things.

    ReplyDelete