Sunday 9 December 2018

Stone Church Ruins

Sometimes with my work I am able to do some photography on the side.  Occasionally I go to Saskatchewan to do field reviews or measure buildings. Last month I was in Saskatchewan (Regina/Saskatoon) for work, and I had some time after my work responsibilities to do some photography.

One of the places I had heard about was the Bethlehem Lutheran Church, located north of Regina near Southey, Saskatchewan.  My first trip to Southey was in 2015 but with most trips, I don't find out about the gems to stop at until much later.  It was the same for this stone church, so on this trip I made sure to set some time aside to go look at it.  Unfortunately I haven't been lucky in finding out more information about it, so I will keep looking.

www.facebook.com/JasonPaulSailerPhotographics
- Jason Paul Sailer








11 comments:

  1. Stone sure does last... Time can change it, well time & wind or water but they really need time to work.

    Paper of course always wraps the rock & wins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stone buildings are my favorite subject to photograph!

      Delete
  2. Wow! That reminds me of that lonely stone church in Greenland where the last wedding in that country was recorded back in the 13 or 14 hundreds. The church is still there, and looks a lot like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to see a salvageable building going to waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rocks aren't wasted, they are just waiting...

      Delete
    2. From what I read, when the church closed it was decided to torch it to prevent vandals from ruining the church. I can't understand why that was done, it is a shame it went out like that.

      Delete
    3. There is a lot more to the story than that! If you know the whole story it makes sense. The cemetery is still in use.

      Delete
    4. The congregation disbanded in 1935. By 1969 the windows had been broken by vandals, and the roof was in bad shape, wildlife was taking over. It was a real mess. Pigeons were nesting everywhere and other wildlife. There was no money for repairs (the congregation had left 35 years previous). The roof was removed and they salvaged the lumber they could. What they could not salvage was burned in a bonfire in the middle of the stone building to prevent starting a grass fire. Understand that at that time there simply was not the money to restore it, especially as there was no active congregation and had not been for many years.

      Delete
    5. Appreciate the information. Thanks.

      Delete