Saturday 20 January 2024

Waiting for warmer times

Hope everyone has been keeping warm. This last week was cold. I work in a small office and on Friday one of the furnaces stopped working. It did not get fixed until four in the afternoon. I had my winter coat on all day as one furnace struggled to produce sufficient heat. In a week of temperatures that had dropped as low as -45C that was the worst thing to have happen to me. Here in Canada if it gets ridiculously cold you still go to work.

I am glad this cold snap is breaking. Everyone I know made it through with no serious issues. Temperatures above zero in a week.

With being cooped up due to the cold weather I reluctantly did some course work, updated my tax file (waiting for some forms from my bank before I can file), organized some financial stuff and made some preliminary plans for eventual condo renovations and maintenance. Being responsible is definitely less fun.

10 comments:

  1. If a tire has 30 psi in it at 75 degrees F, then at negative 49 f, isn't it needing air? Or is the tire so stiff it doesn't matter?
    Asking from Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At minus anything Fahrenheit you're not messing with the tires.

      Delete
    2. Tires get still in very cold weather. It is common to lose some tire pressure over the course of a winter.

      Delete
    3. That should say stiff, not still.

      Delete
  2. Those temperatures above zero, that's centigrade?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that's it for polar vortex weather this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never learned how to use C, the conversion is just too weird. I can use meters, kilograms, and liters and get close mentally, but I'm stuck with temperature. It's All Fahrenheit or I'm lost. The Canadian guy said -45 C,, and I was surprised that is -49 F,,and 100 C is 212 F? I'm just waking up,, I'm rambling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in Grade Four when the big conversion from Imperial to Metric hit in Canada. I think in a mix of the two. Celsius makes more sense to me, driving I think in terms of miles and kilometres, other measurements like area and weight I think in Imperial.

      Delete
  5. Not nice having to work in the cold but at least you weren't outside. I generally walk our halls in our building for some exercise but not since the cold hit. For some reason they are blasting cold air into the halls - not sure if it's a boiler issue or they're just plain too cheap to pay for heating them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because the volume of the tire is constant, and the number of atoms that make up the contents of the tire are constant, and heat affects the air in the tire, when it gets cold,the tire has less pressure in it. It's the opposite of putting a can of spray paint on the dashboard and parking in the sun.
    A closed system will double the pressure if you double the temperature, and it will halve the pressure if you halve the temperature.

    PV= n (gas law constant I can't remember) R T
    Pressure X Volume = Moles,,X Gas law constant X Temperature

    I don't want to go back and edit the first thing I said.
    It's been 44 years since I took chemistry. Gas laws were the best part except for doing labs.

    At negative 40 they are the same. F and C, -40.. I'll never be fluent in that..
    But at -40,,yeah,, they are Gonna be stiff.

    ReplyDelete