Monday 26 September 2022

Sacred Heart Church 1930, British Columbia

This one had my interest and I had it on my informal list for a few years. I have a file with disorganized notes, photos, and screenshots of places that have my interest. Over the last few years I found out where it was and waited until I had an opportunity to get there.  

Sacred Heart Church is a Catholic church and was built in 1930 by brothers Hugo, Paul and Joe Dumont, with help from neighbours. The Dumont Ranch is close. It is in a rural area and there is no town nearby. From Bridesville it is a little over four kilometres away by road. Bridesville is kind of a ghost town. This church has been abandoned for decades. I did not bother with trying to look inside as I have heard it is occupied with beehives. It is very easy to miss from the road.






There is one fenced off gravesite with a headstone. If there are others I did not see them.


Stanley C. Dumont
R.C.A.F. (Royal Canadian Air Force)
17 Sept 1943
HIS LIFE WAS SHORT
BUT HE SERVED WELL
HIS GOD AND COUNTRY


5 comments:

  1. That is quite the church. Interesting history. As far as the lone grave is concerned, I think the top line is R199707 which would be his regimental number and LAC, which would be his rank of Leading Aircraftsman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is information on Stanley Dumont:
    https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/canadian-virtual-war-memorial/detail/2848924

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Date of death was actually 17 Sept

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the information and thank you for catching the date error. It has been corrected in the post.

      Delete
  3. Worth the visit but probably wise not to attempt to go inside if there's a bee population in there.

    ReplyDelete