Monday 2 August 2021

Parish Church of St. Andrew

 

My wife and I were near St. Andrews, Manitoba (northeast of Winnipeg), visiting the excellent Petal Place greenhouse. So many succulents!

We decided to drive a bit farther north and discovered the Parish Church of St. Andrews aka St. Andrews-on-the-Red, with its historic rectory across the street. It all looked closed when we were there, but I took a few photos of the old church and the grounds.

The church was built between 1845 and 1849, and the adjacent cemetery has many old graves.


There is an arch dedicated to the fallen of the "Great War" aka WW1. I'm glad we stopped applying superlatives to wars.

I was pleased to see a small acknowledgement of the recent confirmations of so many unmarked graves near former residential schools.


Maybe someday I'll come back to visit the rectory.

Steve Boyko

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I know St Andrews-on-the-Red! It is one of the oldest Anglican church in Manitoba. And what a lovely, lovely drive it is there along River Road -- so picturesque. There used to be a lovely rock gardens and tea room at the end of River Road called "Captain Kennedy Tea House" -- I don't know if it's there any more.

    https://shewhoseeks.blogspot.com/2009/06/nom-nom-nom-in-peg-captain-kennedy-tea.html

    This post has made me nostalgic for my old Winnipeg stomping grounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A stately church and a very impressive arch.

    ReplyDelete