Monday 24 February 2020

Abandoned church

Saw this in a field west of Redwater, Alberta. It certainly looks abandoned. I got one shot from the road and could have snapped some better shots. To get closer I would have had to trudge through a snowy field for half a kilometre and I had already sank up to my knees more that a few times earlier in the day. I saw a sign on a nearby cemetery so I am guessing it is St. Peter and St. Paul Ukrainian Orthodox Church.

I have the location marked for a return summer visit.


4 comments:

  1. That's a really big onion dome on such a tiny little building!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same as Debra - my first thought was to wonder how much weight is in that dome. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that the church has it's "back" to the road. This would have the congregation facing east. is that traditional?

    /DW

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some good non-snow-covered pix online, if you look for them, including some excellent overhead pix. Someone had a drone. Church site info last entry is around 1987.

    /DW

    ReplyDelete