Wednesday 26 June 2019

It’s a small place

Dunster, British Columbia. Most of my trips are spur of the moment and involve minimal planning. I saw Dunster on a map and drove there in May of this year. This place has no actual town. It is kind of a farming area with small farms. Lovely place with not much happening. There is a small modern school and I would guess all of the kids take a bus to school. Dunster is just a short hop south of Highway 16 across the Fraser River west of Tete Jaune Cache.

As an aside, Highway 16 is named the Yellowhead Highway after a fair-haired French trapper who lived in the area. Tete Jaune (or "yellow head" in French) was his nickname and he stored his supplies at a place that was named after him, hence Tete Jaune Cache.


The train station was originally built by the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway and opened in 1913. The place was named after Dunster, England. I think the train station is kind of a museum. If it is a museum I have no idea who would run it, no one seems to be in the area.


Apparently this place is the home of the Robson Valley Music Festival.


The music festival probably explains the bus which was near the sign. The bus looked like it was in decent condition. I am thinking it might be used for the festival.


This is the real reason I went. To see an actual authentic General Store that is still in business. For such a small space they sold a little bit of everything. From groceries to farm supplies. There is even a small post office inside. I bought something I did not need because you should support a General Store whenever you run across one.


8 comments:

  1. Now this was a great adventure. Thanks for the report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this post needed a few more photos to really illustrate the area. I need to spend more time on some of these.

      Delete
  2. Supporting local small business is a good thing. Farm communities are the heart of the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a fondness for General Stores. I do not know why, I just like them. I make a point to support them whenever I run across one.

      Delete
  3. Cute little train station! I like that bus too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, love the bright blue on the General Store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting to read the history of the name - and that bus is one of a kind I expect. There aren't many general stores like that left so they're always worth exploring.

    ReplyDelete