Wednesday 22 August 2018

Église de Sainte-Radegonde


For several miles along Highway 13 I could see the spire of Église de Sainte-Radegonde rising above the tallest trees in Lafleche, Saskatchewan. It was a blistering hot Wednesday afternoon but the mature trees along the streets and boulevards provided some welcoming shade upon my arrival.

I drove directly to the church, parked and with camera in hand began taking photos of this rather grand church located in a town of only about four hundred people. I was standing in the middle of the street when a lady drives up and says the church is open and I'm welcome to take photos inside as well as outside. There's nothing like a small town greeting!

The church is built of pressed clay brick from the nearby Claybank Brick Foundry.


The view from the front doors towards the altar . . .


. . . and from the altar to the front doors.


The stained glass window above the altar . . .


. . . and on the adjacent walls of the altar . . .



. . . my personal favourite, the window above the front doors.


The cornerstone of the church.


The church is in immaculate condition . . .


. . . and rises over one hundred and twenty feet into the sky.


Lafleche is a predominantly French community.  I love the way some of the older folks can switch between speaking French and English without a hitch...and without any noticeable accent. 

The church is a Municipal Heritage Property.

- Michael Truman

6 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous church! It reminds me of the one in St. Jean-Baptiste or St. Malo, MB... giant churches out of proportion to the communities they are in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mention seeing it for miles. That reminded me of a similar situation with the little Catholic church in the middle of nowhere at Churchtown, Ohio.

    https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.groundspeak.com%2Fwaymarking%2Fdisplay%2F8a82c31a-9a98-4378-bcea-50285adb56c6.JPG&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.waymarking.com%2Fwaymarks%2FWM8KNN_St_John_the_Baptist_Catholic_Church_Churchtown_Ohio&docid=TD17lwO7YPtV6M&tbnid=XGJQtmB3RPApUM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjXqcut-IDdAhUB5IMKHZNlAPEQMwhgKA8wDw..i&w=400&h=300&client=firefox-b-1&bih=966&biw=1920&q=churchtown%2C%20oh&ved=0ahUKEwjXqcut-IDdAhUB5IMKHZNlAPEQMwhgKA8wDw&iact=mrc&uact=8

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful church!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have driven past this church on two occasions and never stopped. I am glad I have Michael Truman posting here to show me what I am missing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping in small towns can be very rewarding. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete