Monday 5 January 2015

Motorcycle lessons I have learned

Beware of wind. Out on the prairie it can get damn windy. I have ridden for hours on bright sunny days and been hammered by high winds the entire ride. When you stop you can feel a little beat up from constantly adjusting your driving to compensate for the wind. There are times riding on a windless day where a strong unexpected gust of wind will hit you hard and throw a bit of a scare into you. I have a windshield which helps. The advantage of a windy day is less bugs. I don't know what it is with the insects in this province but when they hit your bike it is as if they become welded on and are a pain to remove.

Tires seem to last about one season. I started off in the spring with a new rear tire and by the time I parked the bike at the beginning of November it was "squaring off". In the spring I think I will replace both tires and I will definitely get the brakes checked. I have found that I need to change the oil about every five thousand miles. I bought the bike used and it did not come with an owner's manual. I was also too cheap to buy one. Since I parked it for the winter I am budgeting and setting aside some money every month for the bike fund. 

I am really looking forward to spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment