Sunday 28 May 2023

Morrissey Cemetery

Morrissey, British Columbia was a company coal mining town that was a ghost town by 1909. At one time there was a four room school, a three storey hotel, businesses, a newspaper, even a brewery. The coal in the mines turned out to be unsuitable and the mine had several accidents.

There is nothing left of the town except old overgrown coke ovens that I posted in the past. I did not know about the cemetery. Some work has been done to clean up and update the cemetery. There are crosses with some background information on those that died. Most of the stories are a little unsettling. Very few seem to have died from natural causes.

If you did not know exactly where this place is you would not find it. It is hidden in the trees off of a gravel road. Google gives a location for it that is off by at least fifty feet.




John Garden Edey, Peebles, Scotland, MIner,
died March 28, 1904, killed by falling tree. 24 years old.


Parley P. Batt, Salt Lake City, Miner
died September 3, 1904
Crushed by mine cars, 19 years old.


John Pi Anetta, Austrian, Miner
died May 5, 1909
Suffocated in a mine cave in, 35 years old.


Peter Vincent, Shoemaker
died June 10, 1904
Drowned in the Elk River
Apparently he was on spree and 
decided to swim across the river.


Hebert Marriott, Laborer
died January 17, 1909
Burned to death in Pioneer Hotel, 23 years old.


Daniel McDermid, Prospector
Died December 20, 1907
Slipped under a train. 55 years old.


Unknown English Miner
Died November 29, 1902
Killed in mine cave in.
He had only been in town a few weeks no one really knew
who he was. Said to be under 30 years old.


Pietro Jacketta, Italy, Laborer
Died December 12, 1904, 42 years old
Pneumonia


There are some other graves. Some with information. There are definitely unmarked graves and unknown burials. Life could be dangerous in mining towns.

9 comments:

  1. Sad, but so interesting, to read about all those deaths. It's rare (I think?) to see graves marked with the cause of death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The markers seem to be exceptionally well preserved or maintained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty obvious that some folks that cared found the plots and built monuments to the dead, as carriage bolts were used on each of the markers.

      It's a very nice cemetery.

      Delete
    2. The cemetery was refurbished and supplied with histories back in the 1990's. I should have been more clear about that.

      Delete
  3. That's an interesting cemetery. Its got lots of character and those tragic deaths are fascinating. Imagine if all cemeteries had little stories like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's neat that the cemetery is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely little cemetery in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I was to be buried, a quiet, small, out of the way cemetery would be my choice. Wouldn't need a marker. Unknown is fine by me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few years back I discovered my great great grandparents grave marker, seeing that moved me. It was weird, someone who had passed 70 years before I was born gave me a feeling of connection that I'd never had before.
    If they'd had an unmarked grave or their ashes had been scattered I'd never have "really know" that I had great great grandparents. That left me rethinking my plans.

    ReplyDelete